What makes for a great shared workspace experience? Going beyond the basics to and combining the best features from the traditional office and the flexibility the 21st-century worker desires.
For many of our members, choosing between a shared workspace and a traditional one is a no-brainer. While traditional spaces may have larger square footage and dedicated office spaces, shared workspaces offer unmatched amenities and services.
If you or your business are looking to switch to a shared workspace, here are the 10 must-have amenities to look for in your new space:
- Ultra-Fast Wifi. This, by far, is the number one prerequisite in a shared workspace. People will put up with less-than-perfect chairs, drink inferior coffee, and drown out noisy “office mates” with headphones. But slow or unreliable wifi is a definite deal-breaker. To ensure fast, reliable Internet connection, invest in quality IT services.
- Ergonomic Chairs. Since members will be spending most of their time working in your chairs, make sure they are adjustable, comfortable, and economical. Have a variety of seating options available so people can choose the best chair for their needs.
- Work Area Variety. Flexibility is one of the biggest benefits of a shared workspace, and that includes the type of work area. Some days work might require a quiet area or cubicle, other days may warrant sitting at a community table for a brainstorming session. Provide a range of workspace options including dedicated desks, single desks or cubicles, shared work tables, and standing desks.
- Call Areas / Phone Booths. Having a designated area to make and accept phone calls is two-fold: it allows members to have a private phone conversation without disturbing others and members don’t have to listen to a one-sided conversation in a shared space.
- Meeting Rooms. While not all members need access to a meeting room, but for those that do, this is an essential service. Meeting rooms can be for presentations, client meetings, group brainstorming, and interviews. They are also an option for longer phone calls if the designated call area is not a viable option.
- Dedicated Desks. A majority of members work from their laptop so their office literally travels with them. For members who require a specific set-up at their workstation (i.e. large or multiple monitors) or a secure storage area for work-related resources, dedicated desk works better fits their work needs.
- Engaged Community Manager. The community manager keeps your shared workspace running smoothly and fosters a sense of community. In addition, they greet members and visitors, answer the phone, give tours to potential members, and field numerous questions about the space. They also connect members, encourage new relationships, and strive to make the workspace experience the best for everyone.
- High-Quality Office Equipment. State-of-the-art office equipment – including printers, scanners, and copiers – is essential in operating a fully-functioning shared workspace. Make sure you have a dedicated IT professional or team on-hand, as issues will occur with repeated and consistent use. You’ll want these resolved ASAP to keep your members happy and continuing to do business.
- Kitchen/Eating Area. Coffee and tea should be complimentary for all shared workspaces. As simple as it is, bottomless coffee (or tea) is a big perk and selling point of shared workspaces. A kitchen should also be available so members can store their lunch in the fridge, or make a meal and eat together in a dedicated area.
- Mail Service. A professional business address is a key feature, especially for new or start-up businesses. Depending on the workspace, there may be an actual mailbox or a locking file cabinet for mail storage.
- Recreational Area. Recreational outlets breed higher productivity. The best-shared workspaces have a rec area complete with nap rooms, gaming areas, and conversational couches to give members a place to relax, unwind, and bond with other members.
Alexa’s Workspaces is the future of office spaces. We are proud to offer flexible, all-inclusive offices for a wide variety of professionals. Whether you’re a small business that functions with low overhead, a corporation looking for a new location, or an entrepreneur with a game-changing vision, we have the amenities and space you need for your business.